Thread: Winter tires.
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #29
Rocer10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
jacd, seeing as your thread has drifted from where to buy to what to buy may I suggest that you check with your local library to see if they have a copy of Consumer Reports annual buying guide (warning: it's a U.S. publication so sometimes has makes/models of tires not available here). It's hard to recommend a specific tire make / model without knowing your specific driving conditions. My impression of the area you live in is that you 'might' get two snowfalls a winter and a much higher incidence of wet roads than in other areas, but that's my impression.

For myself I switch between summer tires (typically all season) and full winter tires as I have both seasonal extremes. While I drive a Honda Ridgeline 4WD I still get myself into regular winter driving rhubarbs as I'm out on rural roads before the plows while highway winter driving is minimal. Summer time has a greater highway component. As a result of a scary near accident while hydroplaning with child on board I'll sacrifice a low score in the wear category for a summer tire in favour of a tire that has an above average score in the hydroplaning score. When it comes to winter I favour snow and ice traction scores over other scores such as noise - and yes there are winter tires that score low in snow / ice traction

There never seems to be the perfect tire so compromises have to be made. FYI, the categories that are listed for tire ratings in CR include: Dry Braking / Wet Braking / Handling / Hydroplaning / Snow Traction / Ice Braking / Ride / Noise / Rolling resistance / Tread Life. While I don't use CR ratings as gospel they are a good reference source in helping to make an objective choice.