View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #5565
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Here's one I was considering.....till I saw the $2k price tag

Then I see ones like this for $400, and I get all kinds of confused.

No idea what the difference is.

Anyway, A friend loaned me Rage for the xbox. I'm digging it. Probably be able to put off buying that new computer to play war z for a few weeks at least.
The first one is built by an enthusiast who likes having the latest and greatest and is upgrading. It's a decent computer and with it OC'ed should stay at the relevant for a while. Too much RAM can be a bad thing as it can slow your computer down if you're not able to use it all. 6-12GB is what's considered optimal for gaming. You also have to consider the type of RAM it is. Value RAM is dirt cheap and slow. The Gamer stuff are usually more expensive but depending on what the exact specs are price will vary a lot. The SSD drive is nice and has really gone mainstream. There are some things to consider buy overall they're really nice to have. 24" monitor could be OK but I'm gonna guess it's a cheaper one. Dell's Ultra Sharp is probably one of the best in it's price-range but they're not cheap. Also, there is no mention of the motherboard which really comes into play if you're OC'ing. The video cards are good but not the best. They're mid-range but should be good for most games. The 500 series has been replaced by the 600 series. It's a good card but most worth more then $250-300 new. If you're spending that much, you'll want to know everything about that computer so as you're not getting screwed.

The second listing is so vague. Either he doesn't know what he has or is trying to be as vague as possible about it. CPU speeds mean nothing unless you state what is it. You can buy a new computer that can play games OK for $500. For more dedicated gaming, you'll probably have to spend more coin.

Keep in mind though, if you buy a more expensive rig, it will stay current longer which can save you money over the long term. The use of premium parts will give you more room to squeeze more speed out of other components. Having a really fast computer is no good if you have a bottle neck somewhere. OC'ing really depends on a good selection of parts. I'll buy the next lossleader and OC when I have to finally upgrade. Going this route gets you the best clock speed per dollar you can find. I'd never spend $1000 for a Extreme Edition Intel when I can spend $300 on a lossleader which can be OC'ed faster then the EE.