Thread: Lance Armstrong
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #606
Frougby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Armstrong's problem was that he cheated too well. Hell, we all know they all cheated and doped, and most have admitted to it or gotten caught. He needed to be smart about it and throw in some mixed results - not win 7 straight TDF. He could have come back from cancer, won a couple tours, retired as a cancer survivor and role model, and lived happily ever after with his charity and millions in endorsements. If this doping stuff came up, he could have come clean, acknowledged it was rampant and played it off like he is now interested in cleaning up the sport for the love of cycling. More accolades would follow, for being honest and a sportsman.

But, he is a narcissist and an egomaniac - he couldn't stop. He needed to head the lesson of Icarus. Ultimately a man's integrity is all he has, and Armstrong has none.
Well shit! What did we expect him to do? I was the most vociferous armstrong detractor starting in 1999. If you knew anything about cycling you knew he was doping/performance enhancing/etc. I was more pissed at his new naive fans of the TDF than I was at him for claiming he was clean and so superior. We've all seen the meatheads that chant USA USA USA wherever they go and especially during those years.

I am shocked at myself now to say that he shouldn't lose his titles unless it is possible to find someone who finished in the top 20 of the TDF that did not cheat. He was the best of the doping era.

Furthermore, his corporate sponsors that are dropping him now should be boycotted by the shopping and investing public. If these corps. staff were that naive about what was going on in cycling during that era and thought that LA was not cheating - they are stupid as children and these corps. are incapable of providing a decent product or at least providing a decent product at an efficient price so don't buy any of their crap.
Frougby is offline   Reply With Quote