View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #64
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,471
Lorinne is an old friend I met in 2000. She used to live in Memphis and date my roommate. They'd long ago broken up, but she and I stayed in contact. She married and moved to New York a few years ago.

Though they live almost right in downtown Jamestown, she and her husband have close to a full acre of land. Lorinne has taken the time to clear what used to be just wild growth.

Lorinne and I met her mom and her sister for lunch.

Lorinne's husband makes tie-dye shirts, which you can see her wearing above on the left, then her mom, and her sister is sitting next to me.

If you're ever in Jamestown, the Coffee Cup is the place to eat. Lunch special was some sort of cheese soup, which was unbelievably good, and the sandwiches and fries were perfect.

Lorinne is an architect who specializes in re-utlizing older buildings. She does her work in a former dentist office in the Pintagro Building downtown. Her landlord is also a client.

Back at her house, I took a little break in her manicured back lawn.

But then I had to get on the road. My friends in Toronto were expecting me. The border crossing (once I was to the front of the line) took less than a minute and I didn't even take off my helmet. I got a mint as a welcome gift.

And then heavy traffic through the city until I got to Donnaleen's house.

Now, a little backstory. In 2010 Tiffany Coates (yeah, that Tiffany) came through Memphis and had a bit of trouble, so I helped her get back on the road. With her was a long-time family friend, Donnaleen. I spent several days with Tiffany and Donnaleen as we rode down the Natchez Trace Parkway, even riding with Donnaleen for a while on Tiffany's bike. This picture is from that trip in 2010.

Donnaleen told me that if I were ever in the Toronto area that I had to stop by. So here I was, two years later, on the way. When I arrived I met Donnaleen's husband, Peter. After asking if I'd like a beer, he asked, "Do you like steak?" And shortly had the grill fired up.

We ate a late dinner, which was perhaps the best meal of the entire trip.

And then finished with a glass of Scotch afterward.

Laphroaig is known for it's particularly strong flavor. It served a perfect ending to a wonderful day.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote