View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #69
DeeGee OP
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Gav:
Can't tell you how much I'm enjoying your trip on this side of the pond. I'm sure you guys had a super time and the pix are great,keep'm coming.

Also really cool to see the "GO AZ " tee in the pix I had a big grin on that one

Ride safe
Jeff
Eyup Jeff how's tricks? Glad you like the Tee, favourite riding shirt now the guys asked about it and I had to tell the story of how I got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Love your pics of Fez!
Cheers Wildman, I've just stumbled across your thread too, like you say we must have just missed one and other.

So we made it to midelt and we'd had an awesome days riding, roads and pistes, stunning scenery which was ever changing and witnessed some sights on the road. What I haven't mentioned so far was the kids, hundreds of them waving and smiling as we passed through villages. Running barefooted huge smiles on their faces, some trying to high five us, one small girl in particular, she must've been four years old, stunning big brown eyes ran towards us with her small hand held high. I closed the throttle, slowing down and held out my hand and as we high fived her big eyes doubled in size as did her grin, for me this was magical and brought a tear to my eye.

We also saw many school buses with as many children sat on the roof of the bus as there were sat inside. Many trucks were overloaded with hay, vans had horses in them, pick ups had sheep, goats, cows and sheep loaded onto them. An eye opener it was!

Anyway I digress. Midelt!

Once we had parked the bikes and (cold) showered we went to eat. I'm sure the hotel had just (or coming to the end of) been refurbished, everything was new despite no hot water, but we weren't complaining One of the young ladies on the reception offered to take us to a restaurant and we gladly took her up on her offer.

We ate up on the roof

The restaurant owner giving us some recommendations of where to stay further on in our trip.

Once we'd eaten we headed back to the hotel stopping off to get some cash on the way. Rob and Pete resting their feet.

We had taken our jetboil on the trip which turned out to be a good choice as there were no tea and coffee making facilities in any of the places we stayed. Well it is North Africa!

The following morning we'd discovered Rob had been up early with an upset stomach We retrieved the bikes from the underground garage where we found out that a young lad had been payed a few dirhams for watching over them. We got them back to the hotel loaded them up and hit the road.

Our final destination of the trip and our most southern point. Erg Chebbi and the start of the Sahara.

We travelled through Aziz Gorge, which was very similar looking to the Grand Canyon in the US, but on a much smaller scale, it was beautiful though.

On the road again.

We took a diversion and looked for an old French Foreign Legion fort. Leaving the tarmac too

More children waving

Then we saw the old fort.

Back on the road.

We stopped for fuel and a bite to eat and let Rob use the toilets, I was also getting bad stomach cramps We could tell we were getting nearer the desert though as these guys were here

I spoke to one of the test drivers and they were on their way back from the dunes testing for next years Dakar. I told him I'd look out for him and took a shot so I'd remember.

Not far to go now as we passed the last town of Rissani, the last one before the desert. We stopped off to take a few snaps and we were the centre of attention as a load of school kids turned up on their push bikes.

A few seconds later a guy turns up in an old renault says something to the kids who move on a few yards and then the guy props open his boot with a piece of wood and tries to sell us a few fossils, bizarre. We smiled and said no as we pulled on our helmets and made our way onto the road.

Rissani

We were getting closer, the landscape more baren, the heat was turned up and I felt a bit apprehensive, excited and emotional. We had travelled approximately 2500 miles over the last seven days and we were finally approaching our destination

Terry had a friend back home who had been doing some testing for a WRC Rally team down in Erg Chebbi and he recommended Hotel Yasmina. We saw the sign for it and we had to leave the tarmac once again.

The going was ok as it was quite hard packed, but then we hit hard mud which had been corrugated with rain water followed by baking heat over the years, known as washboard. I tried moving to the side and found it a little easier, but then I was hitting long patches of soft sand and the bike was all over the place. I just kept moving from one to the other, Jack didn't really like it, but the hotel was 15kms away.

Then the hotel came into view and we rode on in.

As we entered and asked if they had any rooms our host Mohammed gave us a very warm welcome and told us not to worry about rooms, about the price or about anything else! I'll bring you tea and cold drinks then we can talk about rooms. We found it difficult to argue as we feasted on the views and conceded. Just go with the flow.

Our view as we drank tea and cokes.

Tomorrow we play!!!

Later guys and once again thanks for the kind comments.

DeeGee screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 06:04 AM
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote