View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
Hey Ron, that "small fee" you are referring to is $50 at Telus.
There are local shops here in Vancouver that will do it for $20 to $30 bucks.

I am trying out the online un-locker suggested by juames which is $7.95 IF they succeed. Been down this road before with my last Telus phone with those guys and it looks like this might go the same way. They emailed for more info this morning and asking me to confirm the IMEI number again. Just like last time they need to "manually" calculate the code.

They could not unlock my last Telus phone and neither could the local hacks. I think the problem is Telus phones have two locks on them. A Samsung lock AND a Telus lock. Both need to be hacked to truly free your phone.
I know Apple iPhones from Rogers can be unlocked pretty easy as I know several folks here who have done that.
Understood, I was trying not to go to 'deep' in the options as it opens up many other discussions (Jailbreaking and Unlocking through other means as you mentioned). Unfortunately the modem software version on my iPhone is not software unlockable so I have to wait until Bell offers the service which I'm hoping will be prior to May when I start traveling again.

I can't stress enough how convenient those apps are that allow you to phone via wifi. If traveling in a real remote area and wifi isn't available and I really needed to make a call bad, short of using the SPOT messenger, I'd just go ahead and turn the cell data on my phone and call.

(I'm sure Mr. Funnel has a different technological option in his towed orb time machine...hehe)