View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #26
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,159
Had my surgery. Final tally: left shoulder arthroscopy, arthroscopic repair of the supraspinatus, subacromial bursectomy, depridement of type 1 SLAP lesion, chondroplasty glenoid. I had a Moog Auto Infuser dispensing Ropivacaine at the surgery site for three days. It made an unbelievable difference in terms of pain management rather than just a nerve block the day of the surgery. I was petrified about the nerve block, and needn't have been. I must have been awake enough to help the anesthesiologist identify proper placement, but I don't remember a thing about it.

Surgery took about 2 hours. I had both IV and gas anesthetic, as well as being intubated. I awoke to a very sore throat, and feeling very woozy. I don't remember a whole lot about the rest of the day. I took percocet for the breakthrough pain and am now only on it in the evening. During the day, ibuprofen is sufficient. I ice every four hours or so. Oh, and be sure to take lots of stool softeners and/or laxatives. Geez, Percocet is an effective plug.

I start PT on Thursday, one week after surgery. It won't be a lot, but it will keep my shoulder from freezing. I'm in a SuperSling for 30 days. Assuming all goes as planned, I'll be full rehabbed in time for spring riding in Moab. In the meantime, it's a pain to get dressed, drive and shower. Not bad, considering.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote