View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #158
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew011 View Post
On public roads there is an element of possible surprise in the corner (wherever you can't see the road far enough ahead). I find it easier to react in these situations if trail braking, it is easier for me to tighten the turn if needed, to instantly slow down if needed, or to quickly change direction, because the front is partially loaded and the grip is already there.

I don't think of trail braking as "an invitation" or "green light" for faster entries in the corners. For me it is like a preemptive measure of giving some grip to the front, until I see the clear exit and roll on the throttle.
This for me. ^^^ We have a lot of twisty roads & constantly changing surfaces so I often find myself trail braking into corners so I have control of the bikes attitude until I can see my apex and clear exit, it also allows me to instantly tighten or widen my turn & should I have to avoid an oncoming vehicle on my side of the road, which is common, I can do so quickly & smoothly by gently increasing my braking or accelerating by releasing the brakes as I look for an "exit".
The trail braking is very subtle, I have never had an issue with a bad road surface, gravel etc despite hitting plenty of it but I have had the time to react correctly and not unsettle the bike.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote