View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #2754
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdog View Post
Hey guys, I posted in the wrong section (orange crush) and should have came here.
Looking to buy a exc 500, but it seems nobody has had one of these things long enough to see how well this thing will hold up. Everyone talks about changing oil all the time and I understand the ktm manual calls for service more that any other type dualsport bike. I understand it takes less oil, so that would contribute. I see there's several for sale out there and a few on this site, but nobody has a lot of miles on them. I had a drz400 that was bullet proof, can the owners of these 500 say the same thing it just seems like their high maintence. I like the light weight, good handling and performance, but if the thing needs constant maintence, how do you ride the TAT or any other long (2-3k miles) at a time without worring about the thing gernading?
Anybody got some insight on this?
Thanks
What are "a lot of miles". I have 48xx on mine in 1 year. Some may have more. I think the oil change interval fear is far over blown. I have not had 1 failure to date & this scoot has NOT been babied!

And, have we had any "grenades"? If so, I missed them

Just go buy one & ride the piss out of it!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote