View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
TheRadBaron OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
The plot thickens on the chain drive. The SL bottom end places the countershaft sprocket further outboard by 1/2" or more from where the CB bottom end had it. I'm hoping that a swap to a SL350 rear wheel will fix that, but the only way that it will is if the sprocket to centerline of the hub distance is greater than the CB350 wheel's. Would someone here be willing to take a measurement for me of the sprocket to hub centerline distance on a '71-'72 SL350 rear wheel? I measure from the inside face of the sprocket to the point midway between the right-hand and left-hand spokes on the hub. It seems likely to me that the SL wheel will fix it since I don't think that they would have offset the motor in the frame.
If the SL wheel won't fix it, I think that I'll be able to get the misalignment down to a pretty small amount by shimming the rear sprocket outward and shimming the front sprocket inward. I haven't taken any precise measurements, but it might work. I'd rather swap the wheel and have everything line up by design, though.
Does anyone have an SL350 rear wheel and brake assembly for sale? Thanks.