View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579
The final explanation straight from the horses mouth:

First off, thank you for the inquiry regarding the differences between our Topo products. I looked into this problem and believe I found most of the answers to your questions. This issue arises from the fact that the older Topo 100K maps were treated as a “dumping ground” for all trails regardless of their scale, quality and accuracy. When we started making the 24K maps we decided to limit the product to higher quality datasets and included Navteq data so the product would be routable. In concern of map size, we felt that having a routable product was more of a service to our customers than adding, in some places, pretty shoddy trail information. You are not the first person to bring up a concern regarding the removal of some of our trails and it is currently being looked into by our outdoor team. I can’t guarantee that they will decide to comb through the trail data and add the good material to the maps, but it is definitely being discussed. Feel free to pass along any other questions you may have and I apologize if this issue has caused you any inconvenience.

Thank You,

Ben
Cartography Administration
1200 E. 151st Street
Olathe, KS 66062
www.garmin.com