View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #6265
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I think you would have to have a lot of mineral fluid in the case to damage a bearing. Many of us have run our engines with a litre of coolant/water mix in the case for kilometers without knowing or without choice. I'm one of those guys & 5,000km later my engine is as quiet as it was when it was new. That said, perhaps the longevity has been compromised

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Interesting points.

Although I don't know if it is a language barrier, mistake, or if you are not aware.. The fluid in the hydraulic clutch system is mineral oil. If this is a misconception on your part, I'm sure you must realize the difference in lubricity between mineral oil, and hydraulic fluid in that environment..

I find your theory about the way such a leak would end up in the engine case interesting, and worhty of consideration.

I did fail to mention that I was having clutch engagement/ disengagement issues over a period of months before my failure happened. Flushing the system of old fluid, and bleeding it "seemed" to cure the problem (had to do 2 or 3 times in those 5 or so months preceeding the failure).

My theory could certainly be flawed, it wouldn't be the first time.

NovaMoto screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 10:52 AM
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote