View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
I really want to believe all that but let me throw one out...
One of the last rides I did was in the winter in northern CA.
More than 50 members were signed up to attend (mostly local to the area)
Then the snow and hail started and they all backed out, opting to not even take their cars to show support.
I was one of 3 riders that showed up and it was nearly 4 hours each way for me. I did it because nobody else would.
This soldier died for my freedoms and the least I could do was take a day and honor them being laid to rest.

It was a very memorable moment as there was almost nobody at the funeral in what was a very small cemetary. The local VFW was very kind to us and offered hot coffee and snacks. They made up the majority of attendees and most of these guys were very up there in the years but still managed to make it.

After this "mission" I raised a bit of hell with the local PGR chapter and caught all kinds of flack for doing so. This is when i realized that most people join for their own 'glory' rather than for support. It became (and this was years ago) a riding club for people to show the world how wonderful they are rather than keeping the focus on honoring the memories of the soldiers and protecting them from protesters. When it was in its early days, PGR had a common purpose and was made up mostly of people that had a calling.

I guess I should stop now... its a prety sore subject for me though.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is online now   Reply With Quote