View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
lennyledoux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Nothing wrong with the smaller bike

I posted something on Day Trippin' about a recent day ride, which is all I do here. Then again, I live here in Cuenca, Ecuador having retired from Boeing last January. My wife is a native of Guayaquil, the port city which is the largest in Ecuador and that qualified me for citizenship, which I now have. So I bought a Yamaha XTZ250 in August. A new unsold 2011 model, cost is $8K and the bike is made in Brazil and has F.I. In the States the 2013 model made in Japan will have F.I. and only costs about $5,200. That is why gasoline and diesel are so cheap, they are heavily subsidized by the government and the taxes on imports must be what covers it. A KTM 990 Adventure I looked at was, gulp, $27,000 and the KLR650 is $15K. But frankly the Yamaha does just fine, there aren't many paved roads down here and so the traffic on them is high, and you have already read about what the drivers are like. I say no thanks to the lane splitting and being any sort of aggressive, they are just nuts down here on the roads. Fortunately I have to travel less than 10km and I am into the countryside where more people are on horseback than cars:)
lennyledoux is offline   Reply With Quote