Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,947
Out of Gas in the Middle of the Arizona Desert

November 10, 2012

Riders & Bikes involved:
Wild Bill Kelso -- KTM 950 SE
Mr. & Mrs. Yardstick -- KTM 990 R

Initially the plan was to ride from Phoenix to Lake Havasu mostly off-road. I have done it before (RR's from 2010 and 2011) and wanted to take my wife along on this trip. The plans changed when we learned about a triathlon in the city by the lake. We shortened the trip to an out and back to one of the main attractions, the short-lived town of Swansea out in the desert, east of Parker, AZ.

The idea was to hit the dirt fairly early, but we also didn't want to start TOO early since a cold snap brought temps down to digit-numbing levels for the weekend. We agreed on meeting up with Wild Bill Kelso at 8 a.m. a short distance to the first dirt section. He passed us in his truck on the way to the staging area. Probably sipping coffee and blasting the heater. He was smart. We had the heated liners cranked to the max and the heated grips on sizzling bacon mode.

Highway riding is pretty boring, but occasionally you just have to take a picture:

We were on a mission and made few stops on Castle Hot Springs Road. My camera battery needed a change at the Castle Hot Springs resort site and Wild Bill Kelso did a quick GPS check.

Then it was gas-ON until the turn north to bypass the highway into Wickenburg.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote