View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #858
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
I had been sitting in a coffee shop (free WiFi) in Savannah when some guy walks in and heads straight for me. "Is that your Panigale outside?" :) He also rode and happened to be a professor of art history at one of Savannah's art schools. He also worked on a Red Bull art/motorcycle project. Honda used to have the slogan, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda." I keep thinking the same about my experience with Ducati, only I substitute "most interesting" for "nicest". In any case, I start picking his brain about the south and he recommended (strongly) that I hit up Barber. Sure, why not--what's a few hundred miles.

So that's how I ended up at Barber. And it was completely worth it. Barber houses a collection of over 1200 motorcycles and racing cars. It's the largest motorcycle museum in the world and also houses the largest collection of Lotus race cars. Unfortunately not all are on display at the same time, but from the pictures you can tell there is definitely no shortage of eye candy.

I gasped a few times during my visit--most notably at the Britten and the Supermono (the latter blew my mind when I first saw it at Laguna during the early 90s at the GP).

Mike Hailwood's bike (!)

AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote