CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
BTW, nice place you have there.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsit View Post
The 317 is OK. It has a Kohler 17 horse but the drawback is that it is splash oiled. They did not last as long as other JD's.

Look for a 318. They have a 18 horse Onan that is pressure oiled.

I didn't see in the add how many hours were on it. Raise the hood and the hour meter is on the side. I can't remember if it is left or right. I would say 1000 hours is what would be considered high.

The 3xx series is the class of lawn tractors. After that series, JD cheapened up the product to compete with the store brands.

Go here for more info: http://www.weekendfreedommachines.org/

I've been frequenting that forum a lot in my research. The 317 with the Kohler series 1 had the engine problems. The con rod bearings were lubed by oil dripping from the cam shaft above as well as splash. Basically a lot of side hill mowing or hills in general where not good for that engine.

I've also read some people have had a series 1 for like 20 yrs with no issues. I forgot to ask how many hours where on it when I called him. It is a series 1 motor according to the spec number he told me.

I did a quick search for atvs as a plow option but even used the price for an atv is much higher from what I found so far.

chacha screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 06:09 PM
chacha is offline   Reply With Quote