View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #14968
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post
Thanks for the link fbj, but seems that it is directing me to a discussion about t800 vs 800gs. There is plenty info on the boards about Triumph vs. Beemer debate. I was more curious about the t800 vs. t800xc.

I was a little reluctant about the road handling of the xc. All the reviews from the "experts" was that the t800 ran better on the road than the t800xc. A lot of it seems to be attributed to the larger front wheel.

And thanks all who continue to email me or post their views on here. The info share is pretty spectacular.
I haven't seen anything like that in any reports. The 19" front and firmer suspension on the T800 provides for a little quicker turn-in and a slightly larger contact patch. For those of us that bought the XC, we chose it for it's verstility, not for sportbike handling. None of use run them that hard or expect them to be a trackbike. Coming from a Kawasaki Versys, which is well known for smart handling and fast cornering, I can tell you the XC is no slouch in the twisties. We just don't bend them over as hard. The stellar motor more than makes up for the slight loss in ulitimate cornering ability.

In fact, the reports I read were that the XC was an absolute surprise at how well it does handle on road, given the 21" front wheel. Triumph chose a custom wheel at maximum width to spread the skinny tire out as much as possible. I ride mine to the edge of the tread, no chicken strips. It's easy to see however that it's seldom that I reach that tread edge.

My recommendation would be to go ride both. I did, could not tell the difference in handling on a test drive. I'm sure I could if I took both for a canyon run back to back. What I did notice is the XC is more plush and I liked that. Of course the penalty is nose-dive under heavy braking, but again, we seldom ride them that hard. For normal street riding the XC does just beautifully, comfortable, easy to ride, fast in the sweepers, no see-sawing on brake and gas. The XC also provides a hydraulic preload adjust for the rear shock to accomodate varying loads.

This was one of the most important considerations for me because this bike was to be primarily a road bike, sport touring with luggage, and two-up. Wife and I are about 350lbs together and the bike hardly knows it. Performance is just fantastic.

The gearbox is a close ratio, something most notice right away. Some don't like it so well because it requires a lot of shifting. Once you get used to it you find you can always have the motor spinning where you want it because of the spacing and number of gears.

I really like lightweight alloy wheels and tubeless tires. If that carries a lot of weight for you then warrants serious consideration. For me it came down to a non-issue based on my experience with motorcycles in general, tons of dirt miles, so changing or patching a tube is not difficult. With center stand you can have a wheel off and bead broken in minutes. I carry a pump, irons, patches, and a 21" tube all the time, adding a rear tube for long distance travel. That said, I have only had one flat on road in thousands of miles for many years, and never offroad. Of all the dirtbikes I've owned, I've never had a flat in the field.

Ergos...
One thing that does take some getting used to is the ergos on the XC. The bars are quite wide, and they are quite far forward. Some guys just can't deal with it. It took me a few hundred miles and then you find the more aggressive you ride the bike the better the ergos suit. The bars automatically put you in a moreorless attack position. I even rolled them forward a bit which makes them just fine for standing on the pegs as well. I"m 5-10, 30" inseam. So I run the seat in the lower position but would prefer to run it in the high - it's just that you then end up on tip-toes at stoplights. That's fine empty, but with panniers and gear, or a pillion, I like a little more leverage. I tossed the peg rubbers the day it arrived home. The seat is the best stock seat I've seen. I did re-shape the pillion, with more dish, added an inch of foam on top, and made a new cover. With top-box and back pad, wifey is really comfortable for up to a couple of hundred miles a day. Besides, I thought the gray seat cover just didn't fit the bike.

browneye is online now   Reply With Quote