View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Was this your first camping trip by bike? I curious about what gear you took. I just started taking camping trips on my scooter not too long ago and am still learning.
First overnight camping trip on the scooter. I used to be a pretty avid backpacker so the gear was well suited to two wheeled travel. The funny thing was I had to buy it all over again, I sold all my gear 2 years ago when I bought an rv and promised myself I'd never crawl into a tent again. As great as the Silver Wing is it would have a hard time pulling a camper. Previous to this my motorcycle camping consisted of staying in cabins or yurts. So here Is what I used.

MSR Hubba Hubba tent: A high end 3 season backpacking tent. Very light weight. Super easy to set up as it only uses one pole, and the entire body is mesh so it's nice and breezy in hot weather. Here is a pic of the tent with my dog moose chilling after a long hike.

For a sleeping pad I use the Big agnes insulated air core. It's not self inflating but compared to a thermarest it's much lighter, packs smaller, and has way more padding than a thermarest.

I also use a Big Agnes Silver Creek sleeping bag. It's synthetic and rated to 30f. With the big agnes bags they remove the insulation on the bottom of the bag. So the bag is very light weight and packs down small. The idea behind it is the warm and insulation come from the sleeping pad not the sleeping bag. There is a pocket sewn into the sleeping bag that the pad slides into. This also keeps you from sliding off the pad in the night.

My problem is I just don't like sleeping in tents. I toss and turn all night. I'm a big guy so most sleeping pads are too small, and I find the bags to constrictive. If I buy a pad and a bag that fit nicely they are huge and really to big for backpacking. My solution for this problem is hammock camping.

When I'm in a tent I get a terrible nights sleep. I wake up the next day exhausted. When I sleep in the hammock I don't wake up once during the night and I wake up refreshed. I bought all the tenting gear because my wife never really got into hammocks and she wants to come on trips with me so I figured it would just be easier for both of us to be in the tent. This trip I only made it halfway through the night before I crawled out of the tent, and into the hammock which I brought just for lounging around the campsite.Next trip I'm just going to bring the hammock.

The downsides to hammock camping are that you need some specialized gear. A thermarest doesn't really work well in a hammock. So people use underquilts. A sleeping bag is hard to wiggle into while in a hammock so people use top quilts instead. Obviously you need trees. Some campgrounds don't have trees or won't let you hang off them. For me the trade off is worth it. If I can't use my hammock I just don't want to camp. I highly recommend you try it out.

If you want to read more about hammock camping check out this forum.

http://www.hammockforums.net/

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote