Thread: New Vespa 946
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,556
I have owned 2 Corvettes, a '74 and a '77. This was over 20 years ago, when these years were not really valuable. But I got into the whole thing in a big way, joined the NCRS, subscribed to all the magazines, went to all the local meetings, etc, until after spending over $10,000 on parts and getting pretty much nowhere, decided that restoring Corvettes was too expensive a hobby for me, so I sold them and went on to other things. But one thing I remember was one member of the group had a fit, and sold his nearly new ('92-'94?) Corvette after finding the wheels were made by Enkei in Japan. To some people the national origin of a vehicle is everything, it's important to me. My '01 Chevy sedan is a hodgepodge of parts from all over the world, but it is a disposable transportation car, so I don't really care. But my '64 Fairlane is 100% American made, my '72 Pinto wagon is American made except for the engine and transmission, which came from Germany. I cannot find any Asian parts on it. It still has the American made Appliance aluminum slotted wheels on it that it came from the factory with.

Some things, like Corvettes and Harleys, have such a strong American heritage that I can see someone not being happy about Asian parts on them. Same thing with BMW and Porsche. They are German, and the fact that they are German has a lot to do with their perceived value. Put Chinese parts on them, and that value drops. Chinese parts and products have such a stigma attached to them that it seems the Chinese did their very best to earn it. It's not easy being the worst of the worst. To most people, Chinese means junk. Someone on another scooter forum even coined a word for it, putting Chinese and junk together in one word. Chunk.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote