Thread: New Vespa 946
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
To most people, Chinese means junk. Someone on another scooter forum even coined a word for it, putting Chinese and junk together in one word. Chunk.
My 2c, not worth anything more though!
Also, right up front, not being argumentative, I have my own opinion, and that's what most of the previous comments are.......

The Chinese are businessmen, always have been. They are also extremely pragmatic. If you want cheap nasty shite, they will give it to you, coz that's what you want. If you want excellent quality, that's what you'll get.

There is a higher margin in cheapo nasty crap and also volume than decent quality stuff that a lot of people can't afford. I rekn if you're going to blame anyone for the rise and rise of Chinese industry, and the proliferation of cheap crap, then perhaps look instead to the billionaire importers who foist all this shite on us and have done for the last 50 years, to the extent of driving competitors of quality products against the wall. Ina consumer society people are DRIVEN to buy stuff, no matter if it's shite or shiny, it's drilled into their heads from birth and they can't help it. Cheap or good to them doesn't matter.

My little Sportcity One is made in China, and the quality is far in advance of the air-cooled Japanese bikes from the '80s, and at least equal to most of the bikes of the early '90s from Japan. I should know, I've ridden and worked on them since they first came out.

Oh yeah, and no, I'm not ethnic Chinese.
But I have a habit of standing up for people who don't get a voice of their own.........

Now, anyone else with further updates? Me personally, I'd pay 3/4 of the price of a GTS 300 for one of these things, ticks all the right boxes for me!

MODNROD screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 08:54 PM
MODNROD is offline   Reply With Quote