View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #46
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
I guess I just don't understand why it is so important to make a stupid choice.
Do you feel the same distain for someone who makes the choice to not ride a motorcycle for recreational purposes because of the unavoidable risks involved? People view risk mitigation differently. One cannot deny that riding off-road or in adverse conditions carries a certain level of unnessasary risk that the non-rider avoids regardless of how much gear we choose to slap on. At 50+ I'm currently sidelined by two broken ribs from a dirt bike accident that full gear didn't prevent. Some folks I know think of me as stupid because of my age and decision to ride dirt bikes. I can't argue the facts that at my age injury is more likely compared to someone whose 30 years my junior. It's a choice, and I choose to ride.

I personally am an ATGATT type 99.99 percent of the time for the simple fact that I enjoy riding and wish to contimue to be able to enjoy it and I KNOW I'm gonna crash from time to time. To a large degree this is due to how, where, and when I choose to ride. My brother is becoming more ATGATT but for years his position was that he would rather be in a car than ride with so much gear on that he couldn't experiance the wind blowing against his skin. He rides much more conseratively than I do as a result and avoids riding situations that increase his risk.

Our risks for injury are probably not that different, he just chooses a different way to mitigate those risks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm beleiver in ATGATT, however beleiving that non ATGATT riders are making stupid choices compared to yourself is pretty short sighted and requires not looking into the mirror too closely.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote