Thread: Is Mexico Safe?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #11145
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I will most likely be crossing at Columbus/Palomas.
Unless it's unusually crowded, you should be able to park right outside the office where you'll be checking into Mexico and paying the deposit on your bike. There were about 10 kids at the office parking lot trying to get me to pay them for help in getting the paperwork, so you could try offering the biggest one 10 pesos to watch the bike if you're feeling sketched. Disclaimer: I came in the time I crossed at Columbus with an FM3, and not a TVIP, so your mileage may vary. Specifically, I'm not sure if they'll process your payment for the TVIP, or if you'll have to go to a banjercito for that. When I crossed, I needed to get a xerox at the pharmacia across the way, which was not within easy sight, so get your documents in order before crossing. As others have said, I've never had a problem at border crossings, but I either take my loose gear with me or lock it up. Have a great trip and ride safe Oyster man.

Edit: BTW, there's a pretty nice big American style hotel as you're entering Gomez Farias if you're coming that way via Buenaventura.

miguelito screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 11:14 AM Reason: added info on motel
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote