View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #255
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I'm a little surprised that Honda built a brand-new platform with a five-speed box. I'm sure the bike doesn't need it, but I don't know of any motorcycle that isn't improved with a six-speed.

This sort of cost-cutting compromise that may turn people off is what has me worried about sales of this bike. The other big area is suspension - no upside down forks and other than rear preload, no suspension adjustments whatsoever.

A think a $10,299 CB1100 with USD fork, rebound adjustments, and a six-speed box would sell more bikes than the $10K bike we're getting.

- Mark
Sure I'd like higher spec too. But as Cogitate said, the preliminary comments are pretty good, suspension wise.

Copied from here: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/117/14...irst-Ride.aspx

While many standard bikes these days incorporate under-sprung suspension for our likings, the 2013 CB1100 suspension department integrated a well sprung front fork and dual rear shocks. Damping of the suspension scored major kudos for working nicely all the way through the stroke. From fast rough roads to speed bumps and pot holes, the suspension handled every element we threw at it without a fuss. Handling characteristics are a dream.

And from here: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ide-91464.html

The CBs suspension looks like something out of the early-80s, with a conventional right-side-up fork and dual rear shocks. However, they perform much better than period components. Its 41mm fork is much beefier than anything from the 70s and has preload adjustability for its 4.7 inches of travel. The shocks also are adjustable for preload, although rear travel is just 3.5 inches. The CBs suspension compliance is exemplary, providing a smooth ride even over nasty road surfaces.