View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #32
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,842
I'm bored.
I'm also tired, it's 9:15pm and I've been up since 2:30am.
But I also rode the little-engine-that-could home today, and gave it a little bit of hard time, so for any future owners I have some more info........

I left work early afternoon, and the temp was 37*C, and 100km later when I got home the temp was 38.5*C. I also chased a few trucks, trying to get a slipstream. Well I tried to anyway, they're still about 5kph faster than me generally, oh well. Once off the gravel and corrugations (try to avoid them by the way.......), I wound it in to 3/4-7/8 throttle in the heat to see how it would cope. If it blew up I figured some upgrades would be in order. Unfortunately, it just kept zinging along happily, so I guess the upgrades will have to wait for a bit.
Dammit!
Anyway, the speed averaged 86kph into a 15kph headwind for the whole highway rolling hills trip home, even with the higher air temps hovering around the 100F mark for those on the other side of the world. It also averaged 4.4L for the 100km trip. I did the old-fashioned "glove-to-the-fins" trick (well, as best as I could) when I arrived home, and it was cooler than my old Kwaka Zed used to get on a really hot day, so it coped fine basically. Oil smelled fine too, not too hot.

So there you go, don't be afraid to ride these little Leader's in Summer.
Tough little buggers!

When I get the Puig windscreen here, and also the Dr Pulley sliders and Kevlar belt I have on order, I was thinking of doing a before-and-after quicky performance test. Nothing flash, I was thinking just 0-50kph (0-30mph), 0-80kph (0-50mph), and the end speed after a set distance, like 800m (1/2 mile) or something. Top speed I'm not interested in, and would be too hard anyway, too reliant on wind speeds and inclines. I remember when I was Googling high and low for any sort of real info it was pretty thin. I certainly didn't buy the thing based on a 1/4 mile test, but sometimes it's nice to see whether changing parts actually does anything at all. Most of the info could probably be applied as a % basis to other 125s I guess. It will probably be a couple of weeks away, but if anyone's interested I'll stick it in here I guess, no need for a new thread.

Ride safe.