View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I got tired picking up my WR250R after about the 10th drop in two miles in clay mud ... I don't even want to think about getting into this shit with a heavier bike. And I had no trouble picking up my R1200GS in normal conditions.
cug. No one is arguing that when it comes to "the one bike that has the most chance of getting across anything" that the S10 will be a long way from 1st choice. That would be a 90Kg trials bike most likely.

If we were on a trials bike forum then your fat pig WR250 would be considered a real liability.

What I am trying to say is that in terms of geometry (the way the bike is set up) 28Deg Rake etc. Where the weight is kept, the engine characteristics etc are a lot like a dirt bike except it's a HUGE one. I am not talkng about absolute ability to get to the gnarliest places on the planet here, I am talking about how natural it feels in less than ideal conditions.

I have ridden light off road on a variety of bikes from light sporty bikes to the S10. The S10 by far feels the most relaxed even though it is 90Kg heavier than the sporty bike simply because it is set up that way.

The price you pay for that is the lack of pinpoint precision and fine control you get from a sports bike.

There is more to it than weight or the size of a front wheel as you know.

You can add other bits and pieces to the list as you go around the bike, but essentially the S10 is a Touring bike that will take you down even the crappiest "roads" you may encounter, hopefully dry, allow you to cross deep water crossings without drowning the bike, because they have a high intake facing backwards, Radiator out of the way from mud and debris so no worries about clogging the radiator, enough clearance to negotiate reasonable erosion humps and rocks and hopefully spit you out on to the highway after you have finished camping overnight and be comfortable on 500 mile journey home on the slab.

If you want to do 50miles slab and 600miles cross country I wouldn't take an S10.

So I agree with you.

But the S10 is not a tarmac queen dressed up to make it look trendy. There is way more thought gone into the bike than that.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 04:40 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote