View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
bisbonian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
We headed west on Mex 2 for what seemed like forever.

There was a ton of road construction with many detours. Unlike in the US when you are detoured in Mexico, from my experience, you are just directed off the side of the road and you ride in the dirt until the construction area is over and then you get back on the road.

Strangely enough, according to the signs the construction is undertaken by the Amish.

The four of us have varying degrees of comfort while riding on a surface other than asphalt. I had a feeling that before the trip was over that we were all going to get a chance to work on our offroading skills some more.

As we kept west we encountered a number of military checkpoints and as we crossed into Baja California we encountered something much more worrisome, wind!

The wind was coming in from our right and head on and by the time we hit Mexicali we were all feeling battered and beat up.

The plan was to get to Mexicali for lunch and to find an ATM or Cambio for those who didn't get some pesos prior to the trip.

We pulled off at the first place we came to.

There wasn't much on the menu and we all ordered some fish tacos, our first but not to be last fish tacos of the trip.

I always like checking out the wall art in these places.

Who would have thought that Michael would have been here before his passing and even autographed a poster!

On our way back out of Mexicali to get to Mex 5 and head south we stopped for gas. This was a new one for me as every gas station I've ever stopped at in Mexico has been full service with an attendant. This gas station was self-service but you had to pay at the window first, pump your gas and then go get your change.

Here we learned another valuable lesson.

If you're going to take off your gas cap and hang your helmet on the mirror when the wind is blowing strongly then make sure your kickstand allows your bike to stay upright.

It is amazing how fast a supertanker like this DR will spew gas onto the pavement when it falls over and the gas cap flies off.

The really unfortunate part was that as the bike tipped over, the gas cap flew across the lot and has jetted out right into...the helmet that was on the mirror but was now on the ground.

So after picking up the bike and filling up with gas, now more than expected, we took some time to try to wash the gas out of the helmet padding. Needless to say, the remainder of the day was a smelly affair for at least one of us and we made sure not to light any matches around him.

As we headed south we started to see some evidence that we were on the coast. Well more evidence that everything being sand on the sides of the road.

We stopped here for a quick group shot and to check out the shoreline in the distance.

As you can see we have an eclectic mix of bikes. We have two DR650s, one with kick start only, a DL650 V-Strom with something like 75,000 miles on it and a KTM 640 Adventure built in the last century.

Some of us explored a little further out.

Nothing crazy yet as we really didn't know how much further we had to go and it was getting late. Did we really think we'd be in San Felipe by noon at one point?

bisbonian is online now   Reply With Quote