Thread: Guitar thread
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #1068
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,135
It had been quite a while since I had been in a music store. Truth is I was not playing that much, kinda stuck in a rut...I would pick and pluck at something every other day or so....I was just stuck. I had not lost my drive really, I played the cord zombie game on rocksmith....why I like that so much I don't know...but it is fun.....but learning new stuff, new song, going outside my confort zone and actually slowing down and learning something I was not doing. I was looking at guitars on the net and off craigs list and was pretty down on the crap I was looking at....even the Rick I went to look at was total junk...how someone could do that to a guitar is past me.

I spent 350 on that squire jazzmaster and it really has lit the fire again....I play every night...and as long as kids and wife allow....about an hour-hour and a half....and am really pumped about it again....with all my guitars.

But in shopping the latest new guitar and going the fender/squire-gibson/epi gambit I really do not see the huge price difference. The squire guitars are very nice....no sharp edges, very even, nice hardware. Several years ago the difference between a squire and a fender branded guitar was pretty darn big....now not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Where there you have it.

Then again, unless you are a professional musician there isn't any real need for any American guitar, you rapidly approach a point of diminishing returns when you start cresting $2000. Are they better then the mid range guitars that go from $500-$900? Yeah, a bit better wood, a bit higher grade hardware, and a couple more features.

Do they have 3 times the performance, mechanically or tonally? Hell no.

Its just a matter of tolerance for price, and no one is going out of business so the tolerance is obviously there. Rationality doesn't usually make its way into instrument purchases.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote