View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
Hey Bruce,
hope to ride near you some day...I run the Delorme USB cable into my tank bag which has a cig lighter socket. In the socket there's a Verizon phone car charger with a spare USB port "MiniUSB Dual Vehicle Power Charger w/USB Port". Phone is in the map pocket. Phone/car cable is another option vs the cig to 2 USBs.

I did have some issues when synching the PN60 & Delorme sent a new USB cable. Sounds like you'll need a few spares on standby.

There's also a longer lasting rechargable Delorme battery you can get http://www.rechargeable-lithium-batt...om/cabbat.html

Consider anti-corrosion treatments such as http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/dc4.php or ACF-50. Double check ACF50 can be used on electrical; I'm 90% sure - just right for 'interweb' advice.

Happy Trails!

I guess that I had better order a couple of spare cables from DeLorme. I was a fairly early adopter to dielectric grease for all my electrical connections but had been reluctant to try it on electronics back when my 60CSx was fairly new, they made a big deal about the 'gold' pins and gold doesn't corrode so I was pretty surprised to see how much crap was 'growing' in that connection after a couple of days on the boat. I cleaned it as best as I could but the damage was done, got about 6 years out of it though. Now everything (except a couple connectors specifically marked "NO Grease" on my Mercury, still wonder what that is about) gets greased. If you have a 'truck supply' or truck stop nearby you can find much larger tubes of Dielectric for reasonable price. I try to keep one on each boat, one in my electrical repair box, one in the garage and one in the 'mobile' (never leavesthe truck) tool box so that I never have an excuse for connecting anything 'dry' anymore.
Thanks!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote