View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
@Commuter Boy: Actually Telus is a HPSA network and it supports GSM. Has done for over 3 years now. I don't know what LTE is but my current Samsung Galaxy S (the first rev) supports all of these bands.

@Tat2: You are correct, they now charge $35 to unlock a phone. It was $50 when I last checked. My old phone could not be unlocked by a 3rd party and it turns out Telus cannot unlock it either! This one was a Samsung SCH-A885 which was a pretend "smart" phone that was actually quite dumb. So unless I want to enable it on the Telus network and I don't it's trash. Pretty sad because the phone was hardly used and still works as a phone quite well. Most of the included apps were full of bugs they never fixed so I gave up on it for the Galaxy S I have now.

The Galaxy CAN be unlocked however so the next step is to find out if it is cheaper to just get a "burn" phone from WallyWorld down in the US or just get a prepay SIMM from AT&T or Verizon or ???

Anyway, I've taken this thread way off topic now. It's more like "making a CDN phone useful in the US"! Sorry bout that!
LTE is the fancy acronym that the industry is using for Long Term Evolution... the next technology after HSPA/HSPA+ which was evolved from GSM (Global Standard for Mobiles).
WRT to iPhones, the locking requirements that Apple slaps on the carriers are pretty significant as they are trying to keep their product exclusive to certain markets and they don't want people buying unlocked phones and selling them into other markets.