View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #511
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

The road winds straight up the mountain quite high with beautiful vistas out over the valley below. I stopped at every mirador (vista point) on the 22 kilometer ride to the top. Here is a shot from the first mirador looking at the mouth of the canyon:

I won't bore you with all the pics. This was the best mirador. The next to the last one that had a stone retaining wall that dropped straight down 1000 vertical feet when you looked over the side. You better not suffer from vertigo if you want to hang over the edge and get this picture. That is a tour boat down there with ten rows of seats 4 wide so probably 30 0r 40 feet long with twin outboards cutting the wake down there. You have to squint to see it. It gives some perspective as to how honking big this canyon is:

From the Pacific I took the same road as you when I was there couple years back (I was suppose to meet up with Crashmaster but he stayed behind surfing, but that's another story!). I was so stunned by the Sumidero Canyon form the road that I rode down and did the boat tour on the river. Not my thing to go for the touristy thing usually but it was well worth it. Funny to see the kids with their sheep herds swimming in the river when 20 feet from there huge crocs were resting on the shore...

Great report, it brings back nice memories... good luck with the rest of the adventure