View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,594
EDC in Morocco on a Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré....amongst others...

After scooting about here and Spain,on my new to me Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré,for almost a year I decided another trip to Maroc was in the offing and had enlisted a small group of friends along the way.

I had worked before with Redtread Morocco as a guide on CRF450's,been there before that in my Land Rover a few times and hankered to return.

See here...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576833

The offer was to help anyone to take that first step to visiting Africa with a free guide as it were who can speak French and knows...or think I know...what to expect from the locals!

Some might call us a Motley Crew...(and I suppose by this end of this ride report the majority probably will)..but all this to say they were press ganged into coming with the promise of adventure,stormy high seas(for an hour or two anyway)and the opportunity to loose weight due to dodgy food coupled with long days in the saddle both on and off road...

First and in no particular order.....because they are disorganized and live life in no particular order...is;

1.Phil....on a Triumph Tiger of a certain age....not Phil...the Tiger that is.... He's a mechanic by trade and also runs pyreneesmotorcycletours dot com.

2.Ken...on a KTM 990i Super Moto...yip...that's right..a Katay....."If the locals can ride anywhere on mopeds with road tyres then why can't I?"....OK Ken..you're allowed to go...but you have to behave yourself....He's in construction and can build us a hut to live in if we get lost...or loose ourselves along the way.

3.Christophe...on a Yamaha XTZ750...again of a certain age...nope not the bike this time but Christophe...he's a professional photographer who will be available to document all of our ...ahem... 'failings' on a daily basis but with that pro angle just for better impact.

4.Ricky...on one of the last Africa Twins,a really clean example.....the moto that is...not Ricky...he too is in construction and can help Ken by supervising and drinking tea.

5.Frank and Caro....they'll be in a Land Rover 300tdi 110 CSW and will be carrying a few spares and will have space to recover any moto if anything unforseen occurs...(you'd be surprised as to what moto fits in here later on in the RReport lol)

6.Craig....an Australian living and working ion London...on a Triumph Tiger also......he looks for any way to escape dull and dreary London and the confines of an office.

7. Graham...a Scot who'll dish out banter to anyone that deserves it....he's on a Katay 990i Adventure and has never ridden it off road...he's ridden road Triumphs all his life and this is his first taste of a moto of this style.

8 Adam...a mechanic who'll also be on an XTZ and will dish out banter if and required at leisure ...he'll also be doing some Factory Testing relative to certain bits of equipment fitted to his moto lol

9.Noah...a Merican traveling around Europe on his Katay 690i Enduro...he'd be available to take some great snaps too and assist at the drop of a hat without hesitation...You can see his report here which will include some of Maroc also http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893

10. Me...an Ulsterman and retired weirdo who will continually tell the others when they me a question relative to the trip "What are you asking me for...I'm not actually organizing anything...I'm just winging it in a general direction"...or other words to that effect...

I also had put an open offer in the Europe section in ADV to anyone that wanted to come along and experience the ride. From here I enlisted another three strangers who volunteered and showed interest.

(After that open invite the three other new riders to the group would be Craig,Adam and Noah)

After all was said and done this team of top riders would hence be known as the 'EDC'.....on a mission to do some 'Factory Testing'...ho hum.

What may you ask is EDC?..... i.e. 'Équipe des Chevres'....in translation.....'Team of Goats'....
(It would be decided that every time someone would do something...how to say this delicately ..erm... really stupid ....then they would be awarded a string necklace with a washer on it to pass on to the next goat that did something really stupid the next time...and boy it sure was going to be passed around !!)

My moto speedo reads 9701kms the morning I head off.

The EDC pictures will be used in this RR and I pass on my thanks to all who rode and took pictures.

I started with prepping my moto in slow increments a couple of months before leaving to allow for what expectations that would come ahead.

In no particular order I gathered up a few bits and pieces along with my moto without my wife even suspecting what amount I was spending....

First was of course the moto....bought for me by me for Xmas 2011.... a 2008 model with only 3500kms on it!! It came with a pair of Leo Vice end cans(which sound superb) a centre stand and a pair of Acerbis hand guards.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It comes standard with Metzeler Tourances which actually work very well for the mountain twisties here (and gravel trails in Spain) Next thing was a moto cross front mudguard.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Soon after I had it for a few kms I changed the standard Yamaha handgrips as I found them too hard for me...easily changed over for a pair of softer motocross ones

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Over the next few months I fitted rear panniers. These are from www.ardcases.co.uk and are made from welded alluminium and are powder coated along with sealed lids meaning they're waterproof. I opted for the 38litre ones as I prefer to travel light when I can....the more space the more chance I'll fill it with something I don't really need!!!

They're narrow enough for town traffic too.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Due to a time delay in delivery they threw in a fuel can to say sorry...this would be used later on in Maroc to good effect when I came across a lost quad rider.

I ordered a water bottle holder later on also and cut my number plate down to avoid it breaking in case of a tip over...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Speaking of bottles....this was the single most important addition one could ever fit to a moto ...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

With about 8500kms on the moto I changed the tyres to Mitas EO7's. There was about 2mm left on the originals. I chose these tyres as they were €30 less than Scouts and that any reviews I read on Adv rated them well for a mixed tyre.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I changed the tyres over using the tools that I will carry for Maroc...3x 9 inch tyre levers were used with no problem breaking the bead. An alloy sump guard was also bought to replace the standard plastic one which is not too bad considering.

A rudimentary water pump guard was also bought as at least some sort of protection and a secondary bit of water pipe to wrap around the existing.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

A few weeks later I had to buy a brake pedal extension as I was finding my boot slipping off when riding the twisties here...

[IMG][/IMG]

A few zip tys to hold any spokes from flailing about that may happen to snap...

[IMG][/IMG]

The usual Tippex on nuts to give a quick indicator if anything is starting to loosen off...this is the EDC after all!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

XTZ's suffer from wind buffering so this was puchased to help improve things....It's adjustable so I ended up with it tilted forward in the end...It works just fine..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The standard clutch lever actually rubs a bit on the inside of the hand guards so a pair of shorty adjustable levers were bought and the standards kept as spares.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheap cruise control was fitted to help with stretching the throttle wrist whilst on autoroutes....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

A couple fo spare split links attached to a cable will always be a handy addition.....again the clip is Tippex'ed so as when they fall on the ground ready to be lost...I can find them again..

[IMG][/IMG]

Later...a waterproof handlebar bag for stashing such things as visor cleaner and change for toll booths(delivered all in for about €18).....oh and cross bar foam for when ever I go over the bars....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Where the ridiculous standard Yamaha tool kit was(in the tank) I stash a tie down in case of needing to tow another moto.

[IMG][/IMG]
Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 01:09 AM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote