View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #89
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I arrive at Tikal in the afternoon, set up tent in the grounds of hotel in the park, and head into the jungle. I walk through the lesser ruins and I am one of the only ones there. The Howling moneys are going crazy- their loud sounds close to that that sea lions make. Quite deafening. I try not to sand under them as I look up to see the racket.
P1010119

I stay to see the sun set over the jungle, and walk back down through the ruins as the stars come out and I am told to leave the site by the guards.

P1010164

P1010189
Camping under the stars with the sounds for the jungle was amazing. The chilly evening air loud with the sounds or frogs and crickets, the sky pinpricked with stars, and fire flies flash in the grass at my feet. In the distance i heard the howler monkeys scream, and you could feel the awesome presence of the the Myan ruins awaiting the sunrise. I decided to sleep only a little and awake again under the stars at 4am to enter the park again and see the sunrise.
P1010204

I walk back through the ruins alone as I decided I did not want to join a tour at this time of the morning. The wildlife is amazing.
IMG_3215