View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #18577
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,927
Coming soon, summer of 2012

Okay, it is official. I've spoken with my brother-in-law and it has now moved from "a nice idea" to "Thunderbirds are GO!"

The deal? If my 18 y.o nephew graduates on time next June, his graduation present is a 6 week cross country MC trip from Corolla in the OBX (wheels in the ocean) to Oregon along the Trans-America Trail. Just he and I on the road together. He's been riding at our Farm since he was about 12 and is a great, and fearless dirt rider, but now needs to get his learner's permit and start travelling with me. I don't know about him, but I am really pumped about this. I haven't taken a serious road trip since 2007.

So the planning begins. Think I'm going to go with XR650L's since I've had a lot of Hondas. Any help in obtaining them, farkle advice, etc would be appreciated. Am looking at a 2006 XR650L on Cl right now up in Hanover. As soon as I obtain a pair (I don't want to hear any snickers from the peanut gallery) we'll start his train-up with local, then weekend rides. Man it is going to be a huge change to downsize my load capacity from the GS to an XR650. Still, I am really excited.

There, I've gone on record. It will happen, provided Joe holds up his end of the bargain and graduates. I'm pretty sure this might be the incentive he needs to buckle down on the academics. I know it would have worked for me.

So I'm putting off my plans for a return to the Trans-Labrador Highway for another year. Sorry Eddy.

jeff

This is Joe and I on Thansgiving Day 2010, after playing in the mud and roostering cow patties at each other. He is now taller and bigger than I am.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 07:44 AM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote