View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #71362
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
For it's intended use and target user ... the suspension is actually not bad, especially considering this was 1996!
I disagree. I weigh 130 lbs and both forks and shock have way too much compression damping. On sharp impacts the forks pack up and deliver a violent jolt to your arms. Shock is even worse because it effectively has no rebound damping, so on successive bumps it becomes airborne and essentially stalls forward momentum of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
BTW, Rodney was also involved with R&D of the DRZ400. Shame they haven't updated that bike either. It was good in 2000 ... now? Not so much.
I think I can discern a pattern here. I rode a DRZ400E around 2002, and after a relatively short gnarly section my arms were shot: way too much compression damping was transmitting all impacts to my arms -- and the setting had already been adjusted full soft. The Husaberg FE400 that I hopped on immediately afterwards felt like a magic carpet in comparison. So I disagree on the DRZ too: it wasn't good even when it was first introduced.

johnkol screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 11:48 AM
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote