View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Laurel,
THanks for that link. Good pics there of a similar bike and an explanation that it is a prototype HPN frame, so I assume it is NOT available to a person in the general populous...unobtainium?

That is a different bike though. Very similar but different in the tank and airbox area.

I have a good running R1100RT that I am bored with and am wanting to build something cool. I like the tubular frame and standard forks over the heavy forged frame on the GS/GSA frames and the A-arm/monolever frontend for any dirt stuff.

I have an '86 R80G/S that I was thinking about building an HPN replica bike out of, but am not sure if that would make as good of a longer ride on the pavement bike and dont think it will have the power I like without some big rebuilding of the motor at a big expense.

When I saw this frame I thought, Man I have alot of parts that would translate over to a frame like that and give me bit more modern driveline....I know I know you Airhead guys are screaming at your computers that an Airhead is as good or better than my Oilhead....but whatever.

Does anyone know if there is a frame builder that builds a frame like this anywhere that can be purchased by a clown like me?

I have good fab skills and a full fab shop here but not enough to build a full frame and set up all of the geometry stuff. I can build airbox, tank mounts, and modify stuff like a sub frame.....but If I could buy just the trellis front/upper frame section with the steering head all set up I would buy one for sure.

I already have a built set of KYB full cartridge 46mm forks with new seals and heavy springs and a 21" Excell front wheel. The seat/tank/....could easily be pieced together. Man I am jonesing for that frame.