Thread: FJR1300 Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #2093
VascoS
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi fred. Mine is also a 2007 with the altitude fix. I dont run a PCIII, I have considered it a while ago but it was too expensive (here in Europe at least..), I didn't want any performance improvement only a fix to the lean surge. This summer I got that O2 sensor plug and yes it's basically a plug with two resistors, but it did make a very significant improvement!! if you disconnect the sensor, the bike will give a error because it cannot read any value, mind you the ECU doesn't connect with the sensor in any tecno-USB-like system! it merely reads resistance values which is what the O2 sensor outputs. With the plug the bike doesn't give you the error because it can now read something, only catch is the reading for the sensor is always the same, the ECU is sufficiently idiot not to understand something is out of the ordinary... :-)

What I was told from a friend that recommended it to me, is that the plug resistance values "fool" the ECU in delivering more fuel to the engine in a closed throttle. This has the huge advantage that when opening the throttle the bike will now be much smoother, because there is not an abrupt fuel flow increase. You also notice the bike has less engine braking. In my case it also improved fuel mileage slightly!

It's cheap, so no big risk in trying. But I cannot say how it will work with a PCIII.

Cheers.
V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Does anyone here run a PCIII on their FJR, and if you do, do you also run the cat eliminator plug? I have been running a PCIII for years with no other mods, with the O2 sensor disconnected (this was the recommended configuration from Dynojet). However recently I became aware that they came out with an O2 sensor plug that is nothing but two resistors across the 4 wires. Some have said the adaptation in the FJR ECU does weird things if it senses a sensor missing, even if no code is thrown. The plug does something and fools the ECU into thinking an O2 sensor is there but doing nothing I guess. This was not apparent or known 5 years ago when I fitted the PCIII and I have lost touch with the cranky old hardcore FJR folks since.

The PCIII improved things a lot at the time but lately I've been wondering just what its tiny little brain is doing about the open O2 sensor socket.

Any feedback rumor innuendo or just plain SWAG appreciated. I have a 2007 with the altitude fix updated ECU.
VascoS is offline   Reply With Quote