View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
Laurel,
THanks for that link. Good pics there of a similar bike and an explanation that it is a prototype HPN frame, so I assume it is NOT available to a person in the general populous...unobtainium?

That is a different bike though. Very similar but different in the tank and airbox area.

I have a good running R1100RT that I am bored with and am wanting to build something cool. I like the tubular frame and standard forks over the heavy forged frame on the GS/GSA frames and the A-arm/monolever frontend for any dirt stuff.

I have an '86 R80G/S that I was thinking about building an HPN replica bike out of, but am not sure if that would make as good of a longer ride on the pavement bike and dont think it will have the power I like without some big rebuilding of the motor at a big expense.

When I saw this frame I thought, Man I have alot of parts that would translate over to a frame like that and give me bit more modern driveline....I know I know you Airhead guys are screaming at your computers that an Airhead is as good or better than my Oilhead....but whatever.

Does anyone know if there is a frame builder that builds a frame like this anywhere that can be purchased by a clown like me?

I have good fab skills and a full fab shop here but not enough to build a full frame and set up all of the geometry stuff. I can build airbox, tank mounts, and modify stuff like a sub frame.....but If I could buy just the trellis front/upper frame section with the steering head all set up I would buy one for sure.

I already have a built set of KYB full cartridge 46mm forks with new seals and heavy springs and a 21" Excell front wheel. The seat/tank/....could easily be pieced together. Man I am jonesing for that frame.
This place sells a front subframe so you can mount regular forks on the front of an 1150. Don't know how that would translate to an 1100. You'd have to make your own rear subframe.

http://www.bakker-framebouw.nl/produ...es/bmw?lang=en
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote