View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #49
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,250
Early 2000's Buel X1: I test rode this beast at the MotoGP when manufacturers used to bring a fleet just for the fans to try out. While power wheelies in multiple gears was fun, it could only be done in a very narrow RPM range (about 3500-5000). Below that it had bad valve ping, above that the power curve was flat as a pancake. Pretty narrow usable range.

Mid-90's Kawasaki KLR650: I swapped bikes with a friend briefly while off-roading, and I could not believe how large and heavy the 650 felt compared to my Honda XL600R. He ended up crashing it later that day because the terrain was too rough for such a monster.

Ducati Hypermotard: I wanted one of these so bad I could taste it. As soon as I sat on the bike, I knew it didn't feel right. It felt like the handlebars were up against my knees, and I would surely go over the bars if I got on the brakes too hard. A week later I sat on an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 at the San Mateo International Motorcycle Show. I had never heard of it until that day. As soon as my butt hit the seat, I wanted one so bad I could taste it...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote