View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
ItalianRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Your comments support my theory.

The two bikes have quite different sized front tires, correct? When you turn the handlebars on the Triple, the tire swings to the side. Now think about how much farther the front tire swings with a larger diameter front tire; causing it to dig into the pavement and halt your progress. Police training encourages this type of cornering because officers may have to execute a U-turn in a very small space, but turning the front wheel too sharply is like putting on the front brake. Not good if you are leaned way over at the time.
Again, a very good point.

Yes, the front tire is bigger on the F700 and narrower. Also the rake angle is larger on the F700 (the Triple's forks are angled closer to the vertical in other words).

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Edit: So the bike is stalling a lot. I think manufacturers tend to gear the "adventure" bikes a little too high, in an attemp to make them more highway worthy. My Aprilia was the same way, and seemed to be lugging away from a stop. Adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket can help, and can often be done without changing the chain.
Again ... another good point. The first gear feels really anemic compared to the Triple. The F700 has plenty of bite up top but in the low end and low gears it's just not pulling enough in my opinion. I'm struggling with low end power and either the engine stalls or it just doesn't give me enough bite.

Couple everything we said with the fact that I went through a lot of painful training with my Triple but a big fat zero with this bike ... and also let's not forget my aforementioned bout of arrogance, and we might have an explanation why I got so well acquainted with the asphalt lately.

The handling characteristics of the bike is something I need to learn to respect.

The engine power being wimpy in first gear and at low speeds and the constant stalling is something else.

I'll take it back to the dealer and see what they can suggest about that.
ItalianRider is offline   Reply With Quote