View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #692
seh750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Well run for a first year event

Just got home from my flight from Austin a few hours ago. It's a beautiful facility. Would love to run a track day on it sometime, but that's likely not in the cards anytime soon.

Other than one glitch with a cop who didn't know what he was talking about, the traffic management was pretty good. Took about an hour to get between the track and hotel just south of downtown Austin. I was parking at the track, don't know how long the shuttle process took but there sure were a lot of buses. One time it took almost two hours but that was due to aforementioned cop. Rental car return and the airport had extra people on hand, all that went smoothly. The whole town is very friendly, I thought people were friendly in the Pacific NW, but Texans take it to another level.

Track is lacking buildings that aren't part of the race. No permanent restrooms, only one permanent concession stand, no permanent souvenir shop. But lots and lots and lots of the above in various portable arrangements. Had some pretty decent paella and an ok chicken salad for lunch.

Moving around the track was time consuming due to the sheer numbers of people (heard reports of 83k on Saturday and 117k on Sunday). Didn't seem any particularly worse than race weekends at Laguna Seca. There are two pedestrian bridges that you have to cross in succession to get from the south end of the track to the main plaza. That took awhile.

For an inaugural event I was really impressed.

Oh and American Airlines royally sucks. 4 1/2 hour delay out of Portland on Friday made me miss my connection from Dallas to Austin. All flights on all airlines from all US cities going into Austin were 100% booked (gee, wonder why). Best American could do was get us to Austin mid day Saturday. Not acceptable, so we grabbed a rental car once we finally got to Dallas and high-tailed it (75mph speed limit on the interstate!) to Austin and pulled in around midnight Friday.
07 Suzuki GSXR750
04 BMW R1150RT (Project, for sale)
seh750 is offline   Reply With Quote