View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #88
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Yam FZ6 Fazer... So much to like: fast, smooth, decent-looking, comfortable riding position, well-equipped including centrestand, underseat pipes, good finish... But it camber-steered thanks to the over-wide rear tyre and had the most awful gearbox I have ridden since a 750 Super Tenere. Wayward steering and a rough gearshift are cardinal sins in my book. Might give another one a go, though.

Triumph Sprint RS 955i. Bulk torque, handsome looks and a reasonable riding position thanks to the fitment of ST 'bars meant it was mostly enjoyable to ride but for: too close a gap between 5th and 6th gears, so I was never sure which I was in without attempting a shift; such a flat torque curve that there was nothing to play with - apart from that 75ft/lb; would not pull 5th smoothly below 35mph, so town riding required 3k revs or more; minimal steering lock; annoying single-sided swingarm arrangement with rear hub that needed a 3/4" drive 46mm socket and 3ft tommy bar to remove the wheel; non-user adjustable idle speed; front brake that worked well but lever came almost all the way back to the bar first. Fast, mind, and with rock-solid high-speed handling.

I liked most stuff about my 1100RT; lower the screen and there's plenty of wind blast. The gearbox was dire either way between 1st and 2nd, it was a bit breathless at full throttle and it drank fuel fast.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote