View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #294
csustewy OP
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA View Post
Thanks for taking us along on your trip. The reports and photos have been great. I've been following since the start, since as a fellow Colorado Transalp rider I had to see where you were taking your TA. Looks like It's been holding up well which is great to know (with the exception of some breathing issues lately). How many miles do you have on the clock now. I've got ~85K on mine and still loving it.

I worked with Cigar Mike on prototyping the TA center stand, but mine hasn't seen the miles yours has. I know he had to make some slight alterations from the one on mine for you since I have an aftermarket rear shock. From the pic above it is obviously still in place and working. Has it been holding up well?

Thanks,
Hey Dale - it's always fun to hear from a Colorodoan, especially one with an affinity towards such an amazing bike! Has the snow started falling already this year, or are you able to get some rides in yet?

Cigar Mike spoke highly of the time you both spent working through the prototype center stands, and honestly, without that, the stand we have would likely not have been as great as it is. I owe you for that! (and I know that Cigar Mike is looking to fine tune the design some, but you two really did get it to a great point.) He made some minor modifications to the retractable press down leg and the only modification after that was to grind out some of the top plate that was contacting the HyperPro progressive spring when the rear wheel was unweighted. An easy fix (shown HERE).

The center stand has been holding up exceptionally well! It's bounced off more than it's share of rocks and speed bumps (especially speed bumps...), and supported our fully loaded bike on many occasions, yet it's still doing exactly what it's supposed to. I couldn't be happier (or luckier that I was able to drop by to work with Cigar Mike).

Our TA is still fairly young with just about 50k miles on the clock. Well...the odo actually shows around 39000, with the remaining 11k tracked by GPS. Someday we'll have a working speedometer/odometer again. And I am still extremely pleased with her, as well. There aren't too many ADV style bikes out there where the 2 most common failures are the CDI boxes and the speedo unit. What a great all around tourer!
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote