View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #525
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Eh? New Challenge

Since I have been finding/trying new flashlights, a friend challenged me to find him one that a) could be carried on his duty belt and b) would break auto (side, tempered) glass. With the amount of 'stuff' a patrolman has to fit onto his belt these days, this sounded reasonable. He said that he continues to carry an ASP mostly because it will (usually) break windows and would be happy to swap it for a compact light as long as window breaking wasn't sacrificed.
I thought 'How hard can it be to find?', turns out it is harder than expected. I can find glass breaking caps for full size 'D' cell lights which as we are learning have been 'put out to pasture' by the compact new LEDs, those lights don't live well on a belt. All the high performance, 'tactical' lights that I can find have the switch in the tail cap so the glass breaking button isn't an option. I have found references to glass breaking 'crenelated' bezels but no specifics on the websites and the references were mostly to weapon mounted lights. This is handy IF the person on the other side of the window NEEDS to have a weapon pointed at them but sometimes (rescue) that is not the case. There are plenty of lights out there with 'crenelated' bezels but unless they are really hardened, they are not that effective on tempered glass He already has a 'big' light (which mostly stays in the car unless it is expected to be needed) and a weapon mounted light.
Having spent 3 decades performing and teaching auto extrication, I have broken a lot of glass. For me it was easy to carry a spring loaded center punch in my turnout gear pockets with 'all that other handy stuff' but I didn't have to wear that gear throughout my entire shift.I can find plenty of glass breaking knives, some glass breaking pens, why no lights?
Finding a multi-tasking small light is harder than I thought, what is out there that I have missed?

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 04:50 PM Reason: screwed up as usual
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote