Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #11372
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
The Steripen - what it kills

LINK

Not only good for moto travel here and abroad, but also to keep around the house for the zombie apocalypse or collapse of the power grid due to Chinese spies.

Even if you're only moderately intelligent, you're still smarter than I am, and you can figure out a way to deal with sediment if you need to. If you don't need to deal with sediment in the water, then you simply move on to treat it with a Steripen in the quantity needed and carry on. I always stay at the same hotel in San Miguel. There's always a pitcher of tap water in the room. One time I drank it straight, and one time I treated it with the Steripen. Not hard to guess which occasion gave me the zaps.

On the subject of on-moto provisions, carry a collection of Clif bars or equivalent, and if you find yourself stuck somewhere, or a long time between meals, along with your water treatment capability, your moto travel contingency pack is way ahead of the average Joe.
Which one do you use? It looks like they have a number of options.. The rechargeable looks like it would be nice until that one time you need it and have to recharge it first.. AA's might be nice for a quick replacement. I would probably use it in a Nalgene bottle, is this a "size matters" situation where you would want a longer probe or just stir it longer? I don't see the traveler mini being very effective in a liter bottle.
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote