View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Lovin' it Strom
Now low fat!

Oddometer: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
The only things I can think of at time that would endear a program (other that what is currently available) to moto riders is one that showed repair shops and highlighted curvy roads.
Otherwise, what is already being sold/available (vehicle travel planning), seems to cover it.

Maybe this fits more into moto-specific travel guides, but those are already prolific, at least so in NA and Europe.

Or, maybe I'm reading ths wrong...?

I haven't used any specific downloadable software, but have been using google maps and the Harley map, to plan my trips. The problems I have run into is I can't just enter in specifics, like saddle time and stop for lunch (places approximately 2 hours into the trip), or maybe I want to stop and hike for an hour at a waterfall. The available applications I am using don't account for that.

The difference is, a car app for cagers just gets you there, as fast and straight as possible. We usually don't ride the same way, to us it's the journey as much, if not more so, as the destination. Here is the difference I would like to see.

My home in Bailey, CO to Grand Junction, CO
Start time: 9:00 a.m. Desired arrival time: 6:00 p.m.
By Car: Travel time: 4 hrs 23 minutes, arrive at 1:23 p.m.
Drive south 285 to Hwy 9 to I-70 then slab it.

By Motorcycle (Range of bike: 275 miles, Desired time to breaks= 2 hr - Multiple route selections.
Recommend: Loveland Pass (adds approximately 30 minutes to I-70 route 4 hr 57 min saddle time)
Independence Pass (5 hr 27 minute saddle time to destination)
Monarch Pass (5 hr 33 minutes saddle time to destination)

Choose route: Independence pass
Available Fuel along route: Fairplay, CO, Johnsons Village, CO, Buena Vista, CO, Aspen, CO, Basalt,...
Suggested food: Aspen, CO
Suggested points of interest: Independence pass summit
Walking tour of downtown Aspen
Glenwood Hot Springs
extended ride to Rifle Gap off of I-70 (adds about 30 minutes to ride)
extended ride Grand mesa Scenic Hwy (adds about 1 hr 30 min to ride)

Ride calculation: Leave 9:00 a.m., arrive in Grand junction: 6:00 p.m. (includes 2 hr 3 minutes of stops for 40 minute lunch in Aspen, 15 minute rest at Independence pass, 1 hr in Glenwood Hot Springs.