View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #36
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hey levain,

Please feel free to drop me a line when you're ready to start putting this together. As mentioned previously, our US packs are designed to work perfectly as tail bags, but not panniers. So while it is *technically* possible to side mount them, there are some considerations to assess, such as the fact that they don't have stiffened bases / backs to give the bags structure when hung vertically and not relying on the quick-release clips to support the weight of the bags etc.

I'm more than happy to run through these with you in the hope you can continue using your beloved Kriega in this alternative configuration.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks Michael,
I'm sure others would like to know if/how this will work.

I really want to a) use the Kriega bags I've already invested in, but b) use them as panniers instead. A solid rack is the first step towards doing this. I'm thinking that I'm going to need to rig a strap that will go over the rear seat to basically support the bags, then use the standard Kriega setup to strap to the racks. I'll likely need to upgrade the US20 to the alloy straps.

Once I get the racks installed, I'll be able to play around with it. I do think that this could be the ultimate setup if I can make it work. I'll do my best. I really don't want to switch bags. I'm not sure there is a better bag than Kriega.

Stolen from Colebatch's amazing RR. I'm hoping to mount roll top up, but here's someone with (almost) my idea.

With all due respect, it seems Kriega could've (should've) designed a system that could incorporate the bags that many of us already own, rather than reinventing the wheel with new, smaller, more expensive bags!
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 04:51 AM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote