View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,065
I always preferred the later chassis with the angled shocks and marrzochi forks.

About time we had some photographs

My old Jota a 79/80. Had a few issues with it. It was a "sinker" - Some of the early Jotas were prone to cracking cylinder heads, to get round the issue Laverda fitted steel skulls in the cylinder heads Unfortunately these tended to sink into the head loosing the valve clearance. Roger Winterburn, in the UK, fitted new valve seats but there was a spate of these dropping out wrecking the engines. Mine was also a "cranker" where the main bearing broke up. Laverda went away from the C3 clearance bearings for some reason and fitted standard tolerance bearings, these would break up. It all sounds horrific but once sorted out it was a hell of a bike. I had it for years and loved every minute of it and rode it like a lunatic (got a six month ban for some ridiculous speed). I made the mistake of tuning it at one point; bored out the carbs, Ported the head, ricky racer big bore exhaust and a few other mods that completely screwed the bike up, gained little in terms of performance, killed the lovely power band and used lots of fuel doing it. I then spent a few months tracking down a set of standard carbs and other parts to put it back to standard.

The last I heard the bike had been exported to Australia. So if you have a bike with documentation referring to a UK reg GPG 320V it's my old bike. I know the history and most of the owners of this bike from 81 through to the early 2000's

One of my 750's, a 73 SF2, Fitted with early Jota wheels/swinging arm.

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 10:13 PM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote