View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Oddometer: 778
And so we begin

Lots of last minute bike and packing prep.

Finally on morning of Sat Sept 8th, I road my loaded bike the short 30 mile distance over to Tomís house, near Canby OR, where we placed the bikes and luggage onto a small tow trailer, and started making our way in Tomís truck towards our route start point at Goosenecks Start Park in southern Utah.

We decided to layover near Salt Lake City for a good nightís rest, and plus I had access to a fancy timeshare on the cheap. This would provide a final good dose of luxury pampering for the sleepy vehicle occupants.

Tomís sister (Sally) and friend (Kim) were along for the ride and volunteered to drive the vehicle back to Portland. Their plan was to take two weeks for the return and car camp their way back home on the cheap. This was a win-win situation, so Tom and I split the round trip vehicle petrol bill (~$900), small price to pay for an epic 11days on the trail.

Sunday (Sept 9th) morning we left Salt Lake for the final vehicle leg to Goosenecks Start Park. As we got closer to southern Utah and begin seeing red rock formations everyone got jazzed and started to awake from their highway haze. We pulled into Goosenecks around 5pm full of vigor and setup our overnight camp.

setting up camp goosenecks

San Juan River

As destiny and fate would have it, these French maidens joined our camp shortly after arriving for security, and would help provide good fortune on our trip. In broken English and my poor French, we learned one was a doctor in training and the other a physical therapist fresh off a plane from France. These adventuress souls were starting a four week car camping tourist trip of the southwest.

Next up day 1Ö
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote