View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #6007
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrock View Post
Well if that statement is true that only 20 can be turned on at one time, I can see that Garmin will not change the default when you load a track to the GPS. Currently you have to manually go into each track that you want to show and change the default setting from DONT SHOW to SHOW ON MAP. I thought while accepting 200 tracks, that the unit would have the capability to show all 200 at one time and not just 20.

The other thing that I don't care for, is when you turn TRACKING OFF the current track will not show on the map unless you turn TRACKING ON again. Now that is just the opposite of the older Map Series GPSr's. The 76CSX showed the current tracks whether TRACKING was ON or OFF.
Just to "play devils advocate" on this Tracking On/Off topic. If you have Tracking On then you are creating a "current track". When you turn Tracking Off, you no longer have a "Current Track" as soon as you move.

Personally, if I have recorded a Track I want to show on the map, I just Save the Current Track and name it. Then I can show it on the map any time I desire - or not.

I think the net on this topic of "Show - No Show" is that there are many reasons to do either. I think if Garmin would enable the Show on Map GPX Extension to stay with the Track data as it moves between GPS and BaseCamp just like they did with Color, then we could manage the various user scenarios a lot better.

Then again you can always use GPX data Map Overlays as has been mentioned and in use for many years.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote